Pinterest is a social image network founded since 2010 that has been gaining recognition for just a few months to place it among the 10 most popular social networks.
Pinterest was initially discovered and used by graphic and interior designers, architects, photographers, and those interested in fashion, but little by little people of more diverse tastes came online, from chefs and tourists to brides planning their wedding and women interested in scapbooks and other crafts.
Pinterest users form virtual boards about different topics, such as books, recipes, posters, architecture, illustrations, shoes, among many others. Users can upload their own photos, share images they find on the Web, or share the pins of other Pinterest users.
“Pinterest allows you to organize and share all the beautiful and interesting things you find on the web. You can search pins on boards created by other people to discover new things and be inspired by people who share your interests, ” says the Pintertest page.
On Pinterest you can follow other users and they can also follow you, but the interesting thing is that you do not have to follow all the boards of a person, with whom you probably only share an interest, maybe you want to follow their typography board but you are not Interested in seeing pictures of your dog on another of his boards, for example.
This system, as an article in the Read Write Web published yesterday says, works better than that of Google+ or Facebook , where you are forced to see all the content that your friends share. Pinterest works the opposite of Smart Lists on Facebook and Google Circles, since instead of letting content be shared by different audiences, it lets us control what content we receive.
The most interesting is that Pinteres has ceased to be a platform only for users, since it has become a very attractive platform for many brands, since it allows them to display their products in an attractive way. Some brands that have taken advantage of this platform are Gap , Nordstrom , the Travel Channel , Martha Stewart , and Whole Foods .
1. Organize your boards well and specialize in one topic.
2. Find original names for your boards, do not use the ones that Pinterest proposes.
3. Try to share original images or that you find on the Web, do not depend on the “repin” and contribute.
4. Include the origin of the image for those who follow you to find more information. Give credit.
5. Like Twitter or Facebook, you must invest time if you want to have a presence on this network. Update your account.
6. Add the “pin it” button in the bar of your bookmarks to share images on Pinterest while browsing.
7. You can promote your work, that is one of the advantages, but try not to abuse.
8. Download the application on your iPhone and use Pinterest “on the go”.
To register on Pinterest you must request an invitation on pinterest.com, it will reach your email in approximately 5 mins. Another way that could be faster is by receiving an invitation from a friend who already has a Pinterest account.
If you are interested in an invitation I can send it to your email, leave me your information in the comments or find me on Twitter, I am @BBIT_Official